As part of my college course I had to get a model and complete a half body paint. As a class we all put a theme in a hat and one was picked out, we ended up with Jungle. I really wanted under the sea because I love water and the sea basically, so I did that for my back piece instead. I knew I wanted to incorporate water in some way. We didn’t have an opportunity to practice doing this on an actual body, the only practice I had was on a face, back and on my own arm and leg at home. We had 4 hours to complete this assessment and I thought that would drag but I actually could have done with some more time to perfect it.
Along with the assessment I had to create a moodboard to portray the look we were creating, actual pictures of jungles, wildlife, waterfalls and whatever else I wanted to incorporate into my half body piece. I had to do a design sheet for the front, back, face and hands, to show what I’m going to create really. I also had to add embellishments to my look as part of the criteria. I didn’t know until now that nail art is part of my course, that is not a skill I possess. So, I had to either paint nails with actual paint or nail varnish. I managed to do it, but it was difficult.
When the assessment started we had to use fullers earth to cover the entire hair, 100% of it had to be covered to get a good grade. It looks like wet clay and is the consistency of toothpaste. Once its in the hair it dries and sets so it allows you to paint over it. Mine didn’t exactly dry and the parts that did just cracked as my model moved normally. First time I’ve ever used it and it was difficult. For next time ill know I need to put the hair in a tight single bun and less it definitely more with this product, the more you go over it you end up taking off more of the products than putting in onto the hair. But it was ok for a first attempt.
So after that I left it to dry and started doing the background colours, blue green and my sunset on the back, that’s where I needed to show off my blending skills because that was my downfall in my other paint assessments. I wanted to get the backgrounds done so it can dry to add detail, time was just going so fast as well. I could have easily done with another few hours. It didn’t quite go to plan, my colours weren’t going over other colours very well, but I improvised and I’m pretty happy with the outcome for my first attempt.
For my embellishments I added glitter to flowers all over the body and the waterfall. I also added feathers to the toucan I drew on the back, as well as gems all over the body to add a little something extra. My nails ended up going well with the outfit. To break it down, I got 90% for the body paint, 85% for the hair and 87.5% for the nails. Overall my I got 87.5% which is a Merit, would have needed to be 90% to be a distinction which is a little frustrating, but I can’t complain for a first attempt.